There are two sections to this topic:
Someone Owes Me Money includes information on:
I Owe Money/Dealing with Debt includes information on:
- Where can I go for help with debt?
- How can I avoid Foreclosure?
- How do I file for Bankruptcy?
- I've been served with court papers relating to a debt. What should I do?
When someone owes you money or property, there are number of actions you can take.
- File a civil case to get your money or property back. The court that hears the case will depend on the amount involved.
- $5,000 or less Small Claims Court. Your case can be heard in small claims court if the amount is for $5,000 or less.
- The case must involve only money (not property).
- The procedure is simplified.
- $30,000 or less District Court or Circuit Court. Your case can be heard in either District Court or Circuit Court if the amount does not exceed $30,000.
- The case may involve money or property.
- The procedure is more formal and formal rules of evidence apply.
- If either side requests a jury trial, the case must be heard in Circuit Court.
- Over $30,000 Circuit Court. Cases involving over $30,000 must be filed in Circuit Court.
I Owe Money/Dealing with Debt
This section deals with debt, banktupcy, foreclosure and what to do if you have been served.