Maryland Courts

Money Issues

There are two sections to this topic:

Someone Owes Me Money includes information on:

I Owe Money/Dealing with Debt includes information on:

Which Court?
District Court
Self- Help Center

(for Civil Cases Only)

Assistance is available by phone,
in person, or by online chat. 
More about the Center

Someone Owes Me Money

When someone owes you money or property, there are number of actions you can take. 

You can:  

  1. File a civil case to get your money or property back.  The court that hears the case will depend on the amount involved.
    • $5,000 or less "" Small Claims Court.  Your case can be heard in small claims court if the amount is for $5,000 or less.
      • The case must involve only money (not property).
      • The procedure is simplified.
    • $30,000 or less "" District Court or Circuit Court.  Your case can be heard in either District Court or Circuit Court if the amount does not exceed $30,000. 
      • The case may involve money or property.
      • The procedure is more formal and formal rules of evidence apply.
      • If either side requests a jury trial, the case must be heard in Circuit Court.
    • Over $30,000 "" Circuit Court.  Cases involving over $30,000 must be filed in Circuit Court.

  2. File a civil case in rent court.  If the money owed to you is rent or involves a rental property, your case will be heard in rent court.  See the information on Housing for more information about rent court.

  3. File criminal charges.  If you receive a bad check you can file criminal charges against the person who gave you the bad check.

  4. Once a court rules in your favor, you will have a judgment stating that the other person owes you money.  You then may have to take steps to actually collect on the judgment.

I Owe Money/Dealing with Debt

This section deals with debt, banktupcy, foreclosure and what to do if you have been served.