Maryland Courts

PUBLIC NOTICE: Petition for Expungement of Records Effective 10/01/17


Which Court?
  • File your request in the court that heard the case

How do I get my records expunged?

If your case meets certain conditions, you may be able to ask the court to expunge a criminal record or juvenile record. Expungement removes information about a case from court and law enforcement records. Make sure you keep copies of all the expungement documents and the expungement order.

Expungement is different than Shielding.  When a criminal record is shielded, it will no longer be on Case Search or be available to the public.  To learn more, see Shielding Criminal Records.

Expungement of Adult Record

See the following publications for detailed information on how to request expungement of an adult record:

Expungement of Juvenile Record

To learn more about the expungement of juvenile records, see Juvenile Expungement.

For a summary of the law and process, see the following publication:

Filing Fees for Expungement

Is there a fee for filing for expungement?

  • The FILING FEE is $30. It is nonrefundable, even if your petition is denied.
    • Be sure to confirm fees with the court clerk where you intend to file your Petition.
  • There is NO CHARGE in a criminal case if
    • you were acquitted or found not guilty in all charges in each unit filed against you, OR
    • a reverse waiver was granted.
  • There is NO CHARGE in a juvenile matter if you were found “not involved.”